According to my calendar, it’s the first day of spring.
According to this photo, it is not.
This photo was taken just minutes ago looking out one of the windows in our breakroom. That’s snow you see, built up and blocking most of the window. To be fair, some of it is from drifts and some may be from the last time we shoveled the roof, but nevertheless, there is that much snow piled up on the side of our building. On March 20.
Here’s a few more photos I snapped this afternoon:
- Positive: People still need to buy warm winter clothing this late in the season, which is great for sales!
- Negative: At this point, we’re all kind of sick of wearing our warm winter clothing. Except our Kromers, of course (we’re never sick of them), but we would be okay with switching to a lighter version, such as the Waxed Cotton or Field Cap. We’re definitely ready to put the Ranchers away for a few months.
- Positive: We can still participate in fun, cold-weather activities such as downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, ice fishing and snowmobiling.
- Negative: We still have to participate in not-so-fun cold-weather activities such as shoveling and plowing.
- Positive: When the sun shines and sparkles on the white snow, it’s like living in a snow globe. It’s beautiful.
- Negative: When the sun does make it’s way out from behind the near-constant cloud cover, it’s shining on the March variety of snow – the dirty, muddy variety.
All kidding aside, we do love winter. We wouldn’t be who we are without it. And so, with the official first day of spring, at least theoretically we bid a fond farewell to our favorite season.